Re: Sorcery ? confused

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 23:05:51 -0700

> There seems to be three (maybe four) threads to sorcery, Liturgist,
> Orderly, Adept and Wizard (our FOUR secret weapons! surprise and
> fear, and a fanatical belief...).

A lay member of the Church is the first type of worshipper. He does no magic himself, having instead Blessings cast on him by his Liturgist. Some churches only have Lay members, with no (or only few) Orders and Orderlies

An Orderly is a guy that has joined an order - He can be thought of as mundane Monk (as in the western church version, not the eastern kung-fu-fighter version) that has a day job. Orders are a cross between a trade guild, monastic order, and magical order - there are Orders of Soldiers, Sailors, Merchants, even Farmers. Orders provide Spells to the regular members, and also have additional Blessings that can be cast by their special Order Liturgists. Most people in Orders are regular members, but most orders also have liturgists that lead ceremonies to the Saint of the order. Many people in the West will be members of an order. They won't go on to become Liturgists or Adepts.

A Liturgist is a specialized magic user - think of him as a medieval Christian priest with magic. His job is to be a leader to the congregation, channeling magic from them to God. Orders have Liturgists, as do towns and country churches. A Liturgist is a small-time magician. He doesn't get Spells and Grimoires, but Blessings and Curses to cast on the congregation. Some liturgists operate without church sanction (Wandering priests, demagogues; think Peter the Hermit).

Adepts are people (not necessarily connected to the church) who read Grimoires and cast Spells. Many are part of the church hierarchy, though not all. In the text a "Wizard" is a Church Adept; a "Sorcerer" is an Athiest adept not bound to the church. This is the Big Time Magician of Sorcery users. Most adepts are members of the church (even if they are not in the hierarchy - a Wizard-Knight in Seshnela is still a member of a congregation). There are Atheist sorcerers who do not worship God the way described in the rules, but still do Sorcery.

> Are they meant to flow on from one to the next or are they seperate.
> The rule book structure seems to suggest a flowing structure, so
> that a Liturgist become an orderly becomes an adept becomes a
> wizard. But reading them tells you differently.

There is no need to flow in any of the magical systems. You never need to "rise" in the church/cult/tradition beyond where you feel comfortable - you can stay an Lay Member or initiate/orderly/spiritist for the rest of your life (and many, if not most, people in Glorantha outside of the Player Heroes do).

> And which skills do you need, there seems to be a plethora of them

Lay Member
> Doctrine of Church
> Virtues (Optional, but show the ideals of the church)
> Member of Congregation
> Worship of God

Need not Concentrate magic (though Church may want you to). Blessings given by Liturgists
Can Pray for a miracle (yeah, right, at 10w9 resistance) 10% commitment in Time, Resources, HP.

Orderly
Add:
> Worship Saint
> Rule of Saint
> Knowledge of Saint

+ Member of Order
Not necessary to Concentrate magic, though many orders reqiure it. May cast own spells on self using Formularies and Talismans Can have Order Blessings cast by Order Liturgist 25% Committment
(+15% for each extra order)

Liturgist
Need not be a member of an Order
Not necessary to Concentrate magic, though church hierarchy probably wants you to.
Add:
> Use Scriptures
> Venerate God (Order Liturgist has Venerate Saint instead)
> Leader of Congregation (Replaces Member of Congregation)
May cast Blessings & Curses from Holy Book or Rule of Saint 25% Committment

Adept
Need not be a member of any church (called a Wizard) Need not be a member of an order
Most likely not a Liturgist (it's a waste of experience) Need not concentrate magic, though Wizardry School may require it. Add:
> Apprentice of Master/Academy
> Use Grimoire
> Rule of Founder
> Knowledge of Founder

Create Portal of Power
Member of Academy
Cast Spells
25% Committment

> To top my confusion off, I want to have a Flintnail Dwarf in my
> group. He is a Rubble Tracker assigned to join the Grey Company as
> liaison and support.
>
> Does Mostal remain their God and Flintnail is a Saint?
>
> Can Pavis Dwarves be Wizards and Theists at the same time...
> worshipping Flintnail and Pavis? (MIssapplied in the later case
> maybe?) If Flintnail became a Saint via the Greenage, why is Pavis
> a Theist?

You'll have to figure all this out for yourself, since all of the P&BR companion stuff to date was written before HQ was finalized, and is (to the best of my knowledge) not considered "canon" but "Fan-produced".

The Mostali seem to have a completely different way of "worshipping" Mostal (just like the Elves and Trolls seem to have different "religions". The HQ rules tend to look at the lowest common denominator, and that means Humans, for the most part.

RR
- Richelieu