Re: Sorcery ? confused

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 02:26:51 -0000

> In Pavis the close alliance of Pavis and Flintnail suggest a
similar
> type of thing is possible.

I have a suspicion that many of the places where this would be implied from old RQ material, it can be resolved using the guardian rules. Notice the "Mr. Village Deity" entry under the theistic rules for landscape guardians? I think most "city gods" from RQ stuff could be modelled in the same way, at least for most citizens. That is to say, there may be a small formal cult, with some priests who actually get affinities/feats from Pavis, but that most people would be associated with him more as a guardian. Conveniently, guardians don't care about magic systems.

In particular I think this makes sense, as in the cases of the Sartarite cities there is specific reference to the wyter of the city, which would suggest a guardian.

Therefore, you can be a flintnail dwarf, with whatever 'religion' that implies, and still be a 'citizen of Pavis' with a guardian relationship to Pavis.

I suspect that the same may apply to the Zola Fel river (again, why both theists and animists can belong to its cult....actually they belong to its band, and it only has a small cult or practice who actually worship it per se.

--Bryan