Re: Re: Extended Contest - Argument Overridden

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:31:04 -0400

On Thursday, October 16, 2003, at 01:01 AM, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> >> Or if someone withdraws from it.
> >
> >That in itself won't end a contest. It just changes the objective.
> >
> >The contest still ends when one side reaches 0 AP. If it's the person
> >trying to withdraw, they were stopped. If it's the other person, the
> >person trying to withdraw succeeds.
>
> Not quite - it only needs to continue after a withdrawal attempt *if*
> the
> other party wants to continue it.

Well, yes. My point was that someone saying "I withdraw" doesn't automatically end the contest, it just changes the goal for the person making the attempt.

But yes, one side can always allow the other side to succeed, regardless of the desired outcome (think of Obi-Wan allowing Vader to just slice him down in A New Hope).

Camo