Re: Mutli-culting seems to be out ?

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:52:05 +0200

Joerg and peter :

> >>Yeah - Pavisites really worshipping Orlanth are a minority. Pavisite
> >>Orlanthi who are full citizens of Pavis aren't as rare as one-legged
> >>ex-adventurers in the city, though.
>
> > The topic was devotees of Orlanth worshipping Pavis.
>
> I.e. Pavic full Citizens devoted to Orlanth. This ought to describe a
> certain percentage of the Orlanthi citizens.

You guys could hardly have picked a less "typical" example than this one.

;-)

  1. The Dorasings (pavic Heortlings) consider that Pavis is a member of the Orlanth pantheon, which already skews the result (ie could you worship Pavis as a subcult of Orlanth Allfather - or O. whatever ? IMO yes !)
  2. The initiatory structure of the Pavis cult is decidedly atypical, and worshipping Pavis and another deity is considered quite normal
  3. Pavisites in general enjoy increased cult freedom as compared to the general situation, because of peculiar local conditions.

> WRT reciprocal advantages to the Orlanthi, I think that granting the
> citizenship of Pavis without requiring an extra-pantheon association
> sounds much like an Orlanth Rex solution to me.

Allfather : Orlanth Rex is reserved for Chiefs and Kings, and very rarely for exceptional individuals like magical Champions of Vingkot et cetera

> Anyway, my question remains whether city gods are regarded like landscape
> deities by the resident Heortlings. Ruleswise, that is...

I'd hate to generalize : your City Will Vary !

But hows about restarting this discussion from scratch using two blander deities, say Vinga and the City Goddess of Mygalos (Esrolia) ?

Could a devotee of Vinga also worship this previously undocumented goddess ?

;-)

Julian Lord

PS I'd guess that many City cults might follow the shared subcult route, as explained in ST 16-17.