Re: Magic Items and Secrets

From: DaveCamo_at_...
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:12:23 +0000

Hi!

>I made it explicit that the players could define what the items do
>(like if someone were to take "Salt of the Earth" during character
>creation without defining it and then thought of something later). The
>player who bought the Salt said that he wants it to make it possible
>to heal wounds more than one step at a time. You rub the salt into the
>wound and then you can heal it again or something. Anyway, it would do
>what you normally need a Secret to do and make suffering defeat in
>combat relatively meaningless as long as someone is around to heal.
>
>What should I do? My instinct says to just say no, but in the past few
>years I've been trying to say yes to as much as possible because that
>seems to work better.

I'm a big fan of the whole 'just say yes' philosophy so I'd try to make it work. One thing to keep in mind is that the item would still start with a rating of 13 so wouldn't work every time. You could also rule that since there's a limited amount of Salt that it's used up on a complete defeat. It can only be applied once per 'wound' so it really only allows a maximum of 2 levels of improvement (so you can't go from dying to fully healed).

These are just a few thoughts off of the top of my head. I'm sure that you can think of more and I'm sure others will suggest more as well.

It's certainly ok to give a modifier with your 'yes' to make it a 'yes, but...'.

Camo