Magic Items and Secrets

From: drpachyderm <dunlaing_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:19:02 -0000

In my campaign, the PCs met up with a strange Gypsy peddler while travelling in the hills looking for a giant slug that had been implanted with Daimonic spider eggs. The Gypsy peddler had a bunch of stuff to sell with cool names. One of the players traded away some darkness fetishes for the Salt of the Earth.

I made it explicit that the players could define what the items do (like if someone were to take "Salt of the Earth" during character creation without defining it and then thought of something later). The player who bought the Salt said that he wants it to make it possible to heal wounds more than one step at a time. You rub the salt into the wound and then you can heal it again or something. Anyway, it would do what you normally need a Secret to do and make suffering defeat in combat relatively meaningless as long as someone is around to heal.

What should I do? My instinct says to just say no, but in the past few years I've been trying to say yes to as much as possible because that seems to work better.