What's wrong with Kathy??

From: bigblackcatmail <bigblackcatmail_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:50:33 -0000

Hello, all. I'm diligently following all the discussions going on and a few comments have me confused a bit. Primarily, I was concerned about the GM in the HeroQuest book's examples named Kathy.

She doesn't seem to get much love on the forums and I was wondering why that was.

As a newbie to HeroQuest, I found the examples less than helpful at times. I also was unclear on how a session of HeroQuest was *supposed* to go. Although I was thankful for the many examples that detailed specific tasks and resolution in the game, I could've really used a larger transcript of *actual* play. I appreciated the two page example on Extended Contests, but felt I needed a bit more to grok how the game went outside of Extended Contests.

So, my questions are:

What did/does Kathy do *wrong*? What does she do in her games that you don't in yours?

Are there any particular reasons why so many people on this forum think Kathy sucks?

Would anyone be willing to post an actual transcript of honest to goodness HeroQuest play in order to give newbies like myself an idea of what to do with HeroQuest in between the specific instances for which examples are given in the text?

I felt Nobilis was really good about this. The example of play in 2nd edition left me feeling confident that I knew exactly how the game went. Something along those lines might be useful to me. I've certainly learned much more from the descriptions of how various Narrators would handle the standoff at the bridge from "Argument Overridden" than I have from the smoldering flame-war back-and-forths.

And to anyone willing to type up and post a transcript... I will sacrifice small chickens in your name.

Otherwise, if anyone will send me a cassette tape of 30-40 minutes of a session, I will type up the transcript myself. Contact me for an address. I really think that examples are the best way to understand the difference between how HeroQuest works, or is supposed to.