The Opposite of Wounding: Building

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:59:10 -0600

Going back to my potentially more controversial suggestion in a separate thread, I wanted to look at the idea of using Abilities to create other Abilites, including positive ones.

>From: "Nicolas Hughes" <nicolas.hughes_at_...>

>Quite. The new rule would at least give a losing opponent the chance
>to inflict some pain on the victors - even once they know they are
>going to lose. In fact I can see a spiteful "I may die but they will
>never forget me" last attack being a possible staple tactic of
>vicous opponents down to their last few AP...
>
>"He is on his knees, viciously he hooks his axe around the back of
>your knee and you feel the pain as cartilege and sinew split. <some
>further dice rolling> Despite the hindrance of your wounded leg
>you easily smash down on him and leave him a motionless body upon
>the ground."

Let's look at how this would work in my Jon the Carpenter Builds a House scenario. John, a competent journeyman carpenter with a 5W Carpentry Ability sets out to build a house as an Extended Contest. He decides that what he wants to make is a 5W House for his new bride, a reasonable Challenge for his skills. He's augmented by his Love of Bride (or is it Fear of Nagging) for an additional +2. So, he sets out to build the house, making dents into the AP of the house, and the project beating him down over time (in fact, at one point, using our new wounding rules, the house delivers a nasty Broken Leg from a critical failure die roll from a fall Jon takes from the roof which he has to spend some of his hard earned cash on getting healed before continuing effectively - an unrelated action to get rid of the negative augment).

Eventually, however, Jon finishes the house reducing it to -8 in the process. That means that the house has a total of 25 + 8 = 33 as it's rating. Now, Jon steps back and considers his work, admiring the new house and says to himself, "It could be better. If I stripped off the wattle, I could make some better insulated walls." So he makes a Finishing Blow on the house. He fails the roll, and the house finally reduces him to negative as well. The GM narrates Jon stripping the walls, but not having the ingenuity to find a new insulator. So there sits the house, unusable, until Jon can reasonably initiate a new Conflict with it.

Two months later, his bride is pregnant, and he gets the help of another guy, and they go at it again and finish it (total of House 33). Jon pays a HP to cement the house at 13, and moves his gravid bride in. Hopefully that 13 will be enough to augment him when his wife uses her Nagging against him to build an addition. Hmmm. Probably not. Maybe after they've lived there a while and Jon has a higher rating with the house.

What do you think? Anyone want to do an example of this with creating a magic item? Or as a simple Conflict using the Community Support table? Or using the Fetish cost table to cement at a higher level? Is it sensible?

In terms of philosophy, think of the resistance to the conflict as the "blank canvas" resisting the blows of the painter, and the painter's strokes being "wounds" that he's inflicting on it.

Mike

Wonder if the latest virus has gotten to your computer? Find out. Run the FREE McAfee online computer scan!