Re: Chanelling Jedi

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:57:18 -0800

- Richelieu

 >Like everything else in HQ, the rule is : "the story comes first, rules
> >second". Adding abilities in the middle of play is fine - if its
supported
> >by (or supports) the story.
>
> Hmmm. Probably something for another day, but I don't buy either this (or
> YGMV, for that matter). I think both ideas are a dodge. That is, they may
> have some truth, but they're not an excuse for a good answer.

Well, I'm a very "fast and loose' player & narrator, so the more open we make the rules, the happier I am. Fortunately, Greg shares this trait with me :-). I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, so *your* games will vary from mine :-).

> Fortunately you always follow up with good answers. :-)

I try...

> >I've been staying out of the wounding debate
> >(because I don't think it's really all that necessary).
>
> Truth be told, neither do I; I love HQ as is. But then it's my (and
others')
> nature to tinker with successful systems. Why tinker with a system that's
> mess? Uh, don't be surprised if you see this stuff in a new game
> sometime....

I look forward to it.

> >The scene with Darth is more a
> >roleplaying/storytelling thing than a rules one, though I could see using
> >"Relationship: Father" as the augment to "Lightsaber" here.
>
> I don't even know what a "roleplaying/storytelling" thing is - when
playing
> with a system I never fail to use the system. If I thought the system
> couldn't handle absolutely every situation, I wouldn't use it at all.
That's
> not to say that I resolve every shoe-tieing incident with a roll. Just
that
> the rule is that you should use the system when the results are dramatic.
> And, to me, that doesn't cease to be true when things are extremely
dramatic
> - it's more true.

The hand plays no overt role in the movie, except to make Darth realize what is happening to Luke. I doubt that Luke's Player would have said "I try to make him realize that my cybernetics and his cybernetics are bad, and that I'm becoming like him" - it's more like Darth's revelation was imposed by the narrator after a particularly successful attack by Luke. (of course, I probably ought to watch the scene again, since I'm working on memory here...). It's Narrative rather than System because there was nothing in the system to make that decision for the players - The Narrator could as easily have just said "You defeat Darth by chopping off his hand, now the Emperor is telling you to take his place..." But it *is* an important part of the rehabilitation of Darth - he's not just defeated physically, but also he is now on his way to turning away from the Dark Side.

> OK, sorry, rant over.

No problem :-).

> >Mechanically, I'd say that in the scene where Luke lops off Darth's hand,
> >he
> >rolls well and defeats Darth by a goodly margin.

> >Darth didn't spend his final action on getting back into the fight, so he
> >doesn't get back to positive AP, and thus his physical defeat stands - in
> >fact, he's been taken to complete defeat by that Parting Shot, so his
death
> >is well within the rules (and is pretty much narratively pre-destined,
> >anyway).
>
> Wow, that was more than the scope of the thread, but it sure was fun. :-)

Thanks - I tend to write stream-of-consciousness, so things tend to show up that are beyond the scope every once in a while.