When is a Hero ready (was: mechanics of myth)?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:51:42 -0600

>From: "Joshua Neff" <figaro9_at_...>

>Now, I realize that these examples are all of the Red Emperor, who is
>himself a diety (or demigod) (pardon the old school D&D reference
>there). But this kind of surreal stuff is one of the reasons I want to
>game in Glorantha, & seems to me to be the stuff PC heroes should be
>doing. Right?

Well, it seems to be the stuff that Advanced PC Heroes should be doing, yes. But I think it's a tad harder to imagine for starting characters.

To come clean, I'm a player in Josh's game. And I told him at the beginning that I was potentially interested in having the characters start with Advanced Experience. Starting HQ characters, while not incompetent, are not high on the food chain. That is, there are, perforce, lots of characters who are more potent than they are. As such, it seems inappropriate for starting characters to be heroquesting in big important heroquests. Practice quests? Sure. Less earthshaking hq's? Yeah, possibly. But for them to be doing the big ones just doesn't work.

I mean, sure you can rate the challenges in a HQ anything you want and make it appropriate in terms of the PCs power level. But that would mean that the more powerful heroes are doing these things daily. And that's just not supported.

Further, there are some rules that indicate power level to an extent, some of them having to do with crossing over, for instance (which may further imply Community support on some level, etc). These seem to set some threshold on hq's. So I'm not sure if some sort of relativism will work (basically downgrading every resistance to make us seem more competent).

So what do people think? Is this just a mad powergrab on my part, or should Josh have considered my request for advanced experience, if we were thinking a lot about getting into heroquests? Actually I remember that he had some good comment on the subject, but I can't remember what it is now (I do know that it shut me up at the time...). :-)

Mike

Learn how to help protect your privacy and prevent fraud online at Tech Hacks & Scams. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/techsafety.armx