Re: When is a Hero ready (was: mechanics of myth)?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:19:48 -0800

Bryan

>So I think the answer is that if you are willing to tailor the myth
>(and the opposition in it) to the heroes, there is no reason that
>heroes of any level can't do hero quests, provided you can also work
>around the barrier issue.

Agreed. I plan on running a heroquest for my group, for their 6th session. FWIW, I think the heroquest recently posted to www.glorantha.com is actually a little on the easy side -- I think characters with augments won't have too much trouble with the resistances given. Especially since stations will usually be giving a bonus to another station later. (We'll see if I'm right -- I expect I may do some dynamic tuning in my session.) I intend my quest to be more than a practice quest, but perhaps lower than the lowest level of "real" quest formally mentioned.

Of course, just because a quest is not hard doesn't mean it's without risk. Most people don't consciously seek out risk, especially risks that may put the entire community in danger.

And how long does the quest last? My myth involves so much travel that bronze shoes wear out. This doesn't automatically translate to seasons of real time, but you never know.

Mike

>the door should hardly be the biggest obstacle.

It could be. 10W3 is more than most characters can handle. The thing is, the crossing is handled differently, with rituals and often a large group of helpers. If I were to speculate, it may be a design feature to encourage players to have the support of groups, otherwise they'll never be able to heroquest.

--

David Dunham