Beyond the Building Wall

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_...>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 05:14:30 +0900

Hello, this is my first post to HQ-rule mail.

My current concern to translate and convert the RQ scenario (Tales #13, written by Michael O'Brien) as a good example to introduce unusual setting
(involving esvulari, esrolian, seshnelan, grazer, all newly induced in HQ
rule as sample background culture.)

But certainly for the difference of approach and concern along with game rule mechanics makes me still confusing.....see samples for strategist way of gaming that is not easily convertible to HQ narrative system. I am not sure such idea should be replaced to more narrative [and enjoyable fun thing] in roleplaying or try to faithfully translate its flavour by finding similar traits in HQ.

(For this scenario is only available in Japanese on the web, excuse me if
you don't have Tales #13.)

I mainly use Wesley Quadros' site for conversion note (though still auld HW format) from RQ, and official site for HW to HQ conversion. But they are mainly written for theistic skills,
http://www.celtic-webs.com/glorantha/campaigns/resources/rqtohw.html I must read HW -> HQ conversion note in English, for there is no Japanese Translated Edition of HQ.
http://www.glorantha.com/support/HQConversion.html For Rq 3rd Edition isn't concentrated for Glorantha, Note for sorcery along with RQ development of Sandy Petersen should be also helpful. http://www.glorantha.to/~tome/lib/ssr_e2.htm Though Tim Ellis worked for making such good examples for wizardry, it isn't enough a least for me.....

<<For RQ sorcery skills and concept of "inflexibility" of Sorcery spells are too much for me. (Michael isn't good about HQ rule as I, and now in United Arab Emirates....as far as I know.) Someone said Ian Thompson can help to solve such problem...>>

  1. Aeolian Wizard: Father Teoberdt, not concentrated? as Minaryth Purple....?

<<[Rokari Father] Teoberdt intends to use some special magic [left over from his Aeolian days to secretly fly the PCs out of the fort so they can get help.>>
There is no misapplied keywords of St. Worlath.

Is there any standard table for shared grimoire or blessing like in Abiding Book? (If so, Father Teoberdt should be St. Worlath Orderly / Rokari Liturgist rather than a Wizard.) If each of converters can save time by making all spell list conversions according to specific grimoires except few shared magic....Jamie?

2) Sorcery Skills of RQ, (along with Lunar Magic skill in old Gods of Glorantha), Ceremony, Enchant, Summon, Duration, Intensity, Multispell, Range....how can I convert them into "decentralised" skills and keywords of HQ....? (In RQ, Lunar Magic has Amplify, Combine, Distance, Prolong skills similar to Sorcery skills, but can be used for Spirit Magic. I don't know this kind of Power can be found in ILH-2)

<<Father Teoberdt casts a 10 meter radius Protective Circle spell, backed by Damage Resistance intensity 4 and Spell Resistance and Spirit Resistance, both at Intensity 2. It has a duration of 3 days.>>

3) Sorcery Spell: Stupefaction, attacking weakness of lack of FreeInts, for theists and animists.

<<If [Sir Arri] can, he might also try his hand at a Stupefaction spell, because he knows most pagans have little or no Free Int.>> Duration and Time advantage of Wizardry spell slightly mentioned in HW
(remenant of RQ? ) is removed from new HQ rule set.

4) Common Magic and Basic Spells....like Damage Boosting,

For I think many of old RQ spirit magics now can be identified with common magics in HQ rule terms.
Though no "run out of bullet (magic points or non-reusable Divine Magic)" status in Hero Wars / Quest (Though penalty might be applied to sequential usage.)
In RQ, many of basical magics like "Bladesharp" or "Damage Boosting" are common in different cults and shared equally if referees don't attach tacit limitation. (Mother's Little Helpers Common Magic might be identified with RQ healing spirit magic in "Masters of Luck and Death p.20, and Abiding Blessing and Spells might be identified with such Common Sorcery Spells in RQ.)

Except few cult special magics, now identified with "Secrets" like Death of Humakt, in RQ, most of Divine (Theisitic Feats and Affinities) / Sorcery Spells (Church Blessing or Wizardry Spell) are common types, now they must be translated into peculiar magics provided by each cults, except few shared by subcults like that of Helamakt (Orlanth / Heler).

Any comments are welcome.