Re: Re: Special items vs skills

From: Jim Mozley <jim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 21:30:10 +0100

David Dunham wrote:

>> >I hope this isn't for PCs -- you're not going to get a good match.
>> >

>>Thanks for the thoughts David and Nic. I'd be interested in following
>>the above comment up as we are in the process of converting PCs from RQ3
>>to HQ. I was trying to avoid any kind of conversion system; rather I
>>have had them develop characters as per the list method based on their
>>current character. I then intend to spend ages arguing over additional
>>abilities they want to give themselves (such as the equivalent of scan
>>at 90%). I'm guessing this has been discussed before and if I can get
>>past setting up an account with yahoo I can search them.
>>

>I think you're going to get very different results -- the character
>won't feel the same, and players are likely to be disappointed. (Even
>if the HQ character is "better.")

The majority of the players like the player history, personality and in jokes rather than the specific skill levels so I'm hoping to get away with it.

>When I tried this, I had the players recreate their characters 5
>years later (using the narrative system, which I prefer, though this
>doesn't really matter). I figured this would explain both the fact
>that they would be more powerful (in that you can cast magic without
>running out of magic points or rune spells), and different. This also
>meant we didn't have to worry quite so much about what Scan 90%
>converted to -- they simply created whatever new HQ skill was
>appropriate (Keen-eyed, Observant, or whatever) and assigned it an
>ability level.
>
>(For various reasons, the campaign didn't get real far, so I can't
>tell you how successful this approach was. I do know from experience
>that conversions seldom give the same feel, however.)

The conversion process has been a bit difficult, but I don't want to start a new campaign. Its coincided (not entirely by accident) with the clan moving location and half of the party gaining "rune level" status (in old money); with the rest to follow by the end of the year. So there is a natural step change. Hopefullly this will be enough.

Jim