RE: improv mods and augments

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 12:19:46 -0500

>From: "Light Castle" <light_castle_at_...>
>
>I'm a little confused concerning improv modifiers and augmentations. Do
>you apply
>improv modifiers to an ability being used to augment?

Yes, in theory you do this. In practice, I find that my players often say, "+2 for Agility". Practically speaking, of course, if I reduce a 22 by 5, that's still a +2. So, basically, a little short cut is just to determine if the mod is "large" or "small." If it's small, I don't mention it as it's not a detail worth mentioning in this case (and likely will have no effect). If it's large, then I just say something like, "Make that only +1 for Agility." Skips some unneccessary math.

> Should Agile get an improv modifier in a sword fight?

This is the 64 thousand dollar question lately. Two things I'd comment on:

  1. If you allow something like Agility to substitute for other abilities without Improv Mod, then it makes Agility broader than a normal ability. See the paragraphs on Broad Abilties (P. 19, IIRC).
  2. In the end, what gets an improv mod is a matter of group acceptance of the plausibility of the action. If the player can provide an explanation that doesn't void #1 as to why the ability would work, an explanation that everyone buys (not just the GM), then allow it. Eventually a group consensus as to how far you can "stretch" abilities will become apparent to all.

Mike

Watch LIVE baseball games on your computer with MLB.TV, included with MSN Premium!