Re: Re: Magic items (was Transforming abilities)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 21:58:17 -0700

> Obviously this is going to start coming down to differing philosophies of
how magic
> works and/or is effective, of course. It seems, though, that if magic is
really only better
> for doing specific intended purpose things that cannot be done normally,
that a lot of
> magic seems purposeless. If all magic was written in such a way that it
worked like that
> (Magic is specifically targeted to doing that which is impossible
otherwise and against

Magic (even when it isn't being used against passive resistance or for "the impossible") is still a valid ability. Just because it isn't *better* at doing things doesn't mean it isn't useful - Don't have your sword handy, but have "Flickering Blade" feat? Who says that has to be cast *on* a sword? Laid up in bed with a crippling injury when the Lunars bust in? How about using your "Protect Home" feat as an active ability?

Glorantha is not like other fantasy worlds - magic is not "special" and reserved for a few wizards, but is used on everyday things by everyday people. The difference between a "magician" and a "muggle" in Glorantha is merely a matter of degree and training, not an un-crossable divide.

> non-resisting things) this would work fine. Magic would be much clearer.
But it doesn't
> seem to be written that way at all. (Admittedly, I have but the main book
and now a copy
> of Masters of Luck and Death, perhaps this impression will go away with
more
> Gloranthan things to look at.) If this really is the way Gloranthan magic
works, I'd make
> sure to try in my campaign to make and interpret magic be primarily about
affecting
> yourself or the outside world (not people) in very specific narrow ways.
(i.e. magic not
> being about attacking someone, only about giving you a better way to
attack them for
> example)

I won't say "you're wrong to do that", 'cause it's your game, but that is certainly not the intention of HQ magic. Magic is an ability just like any other. Occasionally, you get lucky and are able to get that resistance 14, making it better *in some narrow circumstances*. Otherwise it is just another way to get stuff done. A devotee of Destor need not have a weapon skill or a physical weapon when he can call on his magic to use in a fight. A devotee of Navestos need not be strong, when he has Strength of the Earth. A Devotee of Odayla need not be stealthy, because he has the hide affinity. It helps of you have skills to match your magic (since magic and mundane abilities can augment each other), but it's not necessary.

RR
- Richelieu