Re: Improving magical items

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 22:20:35 -0000

This is true to some extent but not always.

Say you have a magic Sunbeam spear, you started the game with it and the GM said it was rated 17, based on your own starting skills (for balance usually). At the start of the game you will be fighting monsters who have similar skill levels, so if you actievly use the spears magic it will be 17 vs 17.

Twelve months later your characters have moved to average skill sof 5w2, and thus your monsters will have moved to average skills of 5w2. Try using your spear 17 vs 5w2 now? (for eg purposes only).

Basically your spear becomes redundant, even tho it might be a family heirloom used by your Great Grand father to slay some mighty monster, and in his hands it was AWESOMELY good. You cant give a starting character a spear with Sunbeam 10w3, but potentially it can become that.

My original question was sort of trying to come to grips with the process of getting to that sort of power. I was mainly concerned with items that had passive type powers, like Bladesharp, that are essentially augments only. They dont have a clearly defined, or easily used, 'active' magic. Now you can argue that this is the players problem (or the GM) for using such a poorly defined ability, but Bladesharp sits right there in everyones brain (if you played RQ like most of us did) and I hate to give up something that has been multi-layered into my neural pathways.

So I come back to my query, if you had an item that was mostly passive magic like Bladesharp, the current rules penalise you by only giving you a 1/10th reward for investment, via an augment.

So does this mean that passive magic items are uncommon in HQ, nobody makes them because of this poor return. Everyone goes for the flashy new and improved 'active' magic items...?