Re: Re: Improving magical items

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:43:29 -0700

> >This is a problem with all abilities, not only magic items. As you play
> >for longer in a campaign, the gap between your best ability and your
> >average ability widens. Worse still, that widening gap encourages you to
> >further use your best ability (taking an improv. penalty, if necessary)
> >whenever you can.
>
> I think that a good solution will be frequent and liberal applications of
> advanced experience (has anyone actually played to this level?). The model
> use right now is to give out HP for each session - not per adventure - and
> then to do advanced experience between each adventure. So, instead of the
> next adventure starting the next day, it starts two years later. This is,
> me, a more natural pacing, and if you use the advancement per the Saga
> system, broad numbers of skills advance in such a way as to keep pace with
> the higher abilities.

The "problem" such as it is, is players putting their "discretionary" HP into a few abilities and letting the rest slide. Sure, it's nice to have all the "minor" abilities go up a point between adventures, but if the players are putting 5 points into "Munchkin Fighting Style" in the same time frame, you still get the wide gap between "best" and "unused" abilities (after all, they won't need to put points into those minor abilities, 'cause they're getting them for free! Yippee!

RR
- Richelieu