Re: Broad abilities - further thoughts

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:23:19 +0100

Rob wrote:
> The alternative improve method I suggest, is to make the modifier a
> Percentage, rather than a flat figure

I can see the advantages of that.

> [a] problem with this rule as I see it would be the math on the
> night.

Agreed. You might try and reduce the mental load by having a handy table. However, even the extra hassle of one table lookup would be considered too much by many here (based on a previous suggestion I made).

Another problem is that the narrator must still impose large improvisation penalties. -20 is -20, whether calculated by a percentage or as a fixed amount. The oft quoted advice is 'don't say no, say yes but', to encourage cooperative storytelling rather than conflict. But I assure you, even with good players, imposing a -30 improvisation penalty is not taken kindly. And the longer the game continues, the nastier the penalties would become.