RE: Running out of arrows/knives/etc...

From: stephenmcg_at_...
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:54:39 +0100

I haven't done this in play as yet - my players haven't been that interested in long range combat.

There are a number of ways that you might do it - though it would have to be in the interests of a good story rather than a bean (arrow) counting approach. How often did heroes run out of arrows in heroic fiction (I can't remember Legolas often complaining of a lack of arrows in LoTR for example).

One way to bring it in would be if a PC was involved in a archery duel and decided that he was going to use 'rapid fire' magic for example and suffered a major defeat in that exchange you might describe that loss of advantage as reaching into the quiver to find no arrows left.

Obviously, due to the nature of the system that shouldn't be absolute - the proper reaction from the player such as using some ability to collect arrows from those fired by his opponents or 'battle tactics' type skill to _remember_ that he had brought extra for this very circumstance.

It's not a system that encourages detailed concerns about equipment such as how many arrows you have.

Stephen