How many is too many?

From: yuskim1 <yuskim1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:43:28 -0000

Tim Ellis quoted the following in another thread and it got me thinking...

"(Third Eye Blue are a sorcerous people, although not Orthodox Malkioni. They stole the secret of working all kinds of metals from the Mostali. These abilities are held in the Grimoire "The Secrets of the Metal" and are keyed to the Smiths tattooed 3rd Eye. Spells are similar to those in Gustbran's "Bronze" affinity, but there are spells for all types of metal.
Piku also knows the Grimoire "The Secrets of the Forge", from which he summoned the creature that pumps his bellows. His Pommel shaping song is a stand alone spell)"

How many Spells should there be in a Grimoire? I.e. what factors could an inexperienced GM use to decide whether game balance is going to be adversely effected because a Grimoire that they have come up with contains too many (or too diverse or too powerful or whatever) Spells?

Is it the same for Affinities and Feats too?

Thanks,