Re: City Gods

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:21:10 +0200 (CEST)

RR
> Frankly, I don't know why anyone would *actively* worship a City god
> unless they plan on achieving municipal authority.

Make that an adventuresome urban character with a strong sense of responsibility towards his dependents, which in his case includes that much part of the city that he is willing to sacrifice some of his freedom to this goal.

Serving with the city militia, rising in one of the city's guilds (through introduction of methods learned in distant ports trading with the city), and the opportunity to hamper a rival were enough to place my character in a "worshipper of city god" position.

I am, however, inclined to make such a city god a common local subcult to the gods worshipped in the city rather than make it a common religion (if you are a theist to start with - if not, that's the way to approach this). Basically, one "City God X" affinity with feats that work in the city environment. Much like an additional subcult from the same aspect of your greater deity.

Dealing with the worshipped god (or demigod ruler) of the land in a likewise form ought to be within interpretation of the rules, too.

So, when the Flame of Sartar gets relighted, how do we go about getting a "Sartar" affinity for our various Heortling and fringe Heortling but emphatically nationalist characters?