Re: Starting Level of Ability (Was: Initiates using feats.)

From: ASHLEY MUNDAY <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:55:56 +0100 (BST)

Mike said:

"So, think about your job."

I'd rather not, it's depressing.

I wouldn't have said characters with 17 in 4 keywords were that young or inexperienced. We're probably talking someone who's at least 20 (or even exactly 20 if we outragously extrapolate the +1 keyword = 1 year of advanced experience) here, which means they've been adults for about 5 (gloriously sawn off) years.

My point about auto augmenting, BTW wasn't to augment the affinity used to improvise a feat, but saying that an Initiate and Devotee can claw together the same automatic augments from their affinities and then an Initiate can pile on any additional, appropriate common magic he or she knows.

[The crux of the argument being, if someone's going to be a career Initiate then he/she/it will damned well make sure they've got the magic to back it up.]

The 1W cut off is the minimum point I'd suggest anyone changes to Devotee (on a game mechanics based argument, playing style, Gloranthan reality and just what the hell aside). From what I've seen in my own games, people are fairly happy to keep tooling on as Initiates, but that's the circumstances of that particular game.

Cheers,

Ash