Taunting during combat

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:48:25 +0100

How should taunting during combat work? If I have a good combat ability and an excellent taunt ability, then there is a potential advantage to using my taunting. But, the main point of the combat is physical, so just jumping around teasing the opposition into humiliation is pretty unsatisfying, especially if it happens every time. However, an occasional provocation adds variety, and I wouldn't like to see it deprecated too harshly. So, I propose that taunting should attract inappropriateness modifiers dependant on the situation. If the taunt is genuinely surprising, appropriate, and timely, then it should not suffer any penalty at all. However, a second taunt in the same melee will have dramatically less effect, unless the opposition rises to the occasion and taunts back. So:

First taunt: -5
Subsequent repartee: -10
If both participants are taunting: -5

Particularly appropriate jocularity may be 5 points less that above, ie. 0 & -5, with -10 applied if it gets boring.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.