RE: You're in the army now

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:42:48 +0100

> Good point. Further, I think that basically, if the character was an
> initiate, he'd be less likely to end up in the army, unless
> his cult matched
> one there. That is, if I'm an Irripi Ontor scholar, I'm not
> very likely to
> join, am I? If I'm a Yanafal Tarnils Initiate, well, there's
> a regiment waiting.

But if I'm a Darjiini, in their warrior practise (Black Death Snake), and I want to join the army, I'm already in a warrior religion. Same would go for a Bisos Hazar. Both the ones you mention are "standard" 7 moms - you know, "standard" as in no-one in the ILH actually seems to worship them :)

> As soon as they muster out,
> they'll probably be able to pick it back up again.

Well, if they go home.... If they take up their land grant Somewhere Odd (Sartar, say), then they're probably in even more trouble.

> Along with keeping the
> army cult as long as they can find a way to worship as well.

Which of course raises the question of what the "army cult" *is*. This looks horribly as if generating a Lunar solider as a PC is going to be very difficult. You have to invent a cult/practise/whatever for the unit you join, and there don't seem to be many clues in the ILH. (Well, there are. They say you use the "soldier" religion from your homeland.)

> Let's say
> that the character is a Yanafal Tarnils Initiate garrisoned in Sartar
> somewhere. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that some of these
folks
> had somewhat "gone native" and had joined the Destor cult in secret.

Yes, this would be how you add a *third* religion to the existing two, and is why my proposed Lunar PC will not be concentrating her magic... I want to keep story options open!