Re: Presents from a shaman

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:13:08 -0800

> I *tend* to think that a practice/tradition charm is just an inert lump of
> stuff when in the hands of an "outsider". However, until Greg confirms or
> denies it, I won't go so far as to say it *is* so.

Okay, Greg says that the above is basically true:

Me
>> If a person from outside a tradition (whether they are another animist,
or a
>> theist or sorcerer) gets a hold of an Animist charm, can he still use it?

greg:
>The key will be that "personal relationship" thing.

>> My feeling is that it turns into an inert lump of stuff as long as it is
in
>> the "outsider"'s posession.

>More or less correct, though it will be a hostile lump, more than likely.
Why?
>Because it is "imprisoned."

So, in conclusion,
It's the Personal relationship that the user has with the spirit (or the Majestic/Great spirit 'above' it) that is at the root of Animist magic. Without some sort of relationship, the spirit won't/can't respond. To get a relationship with a Great Spirit, one has to be at least a Spiritist.
To get a relationship with a Majestic Spirit, one has to be at least a Practitioner.
(or, having that relationship makes you that level of worshipper - it's a chicken-and-egg thing)
To get a relationship with a fetish requires Follower of [Majestic Spirit], making you, de facto, a Practitioner.

*Normal* animists won't have suitable/working relationships with spirits outside their tradition/practice; normal animists and sorcerous types won't have relationships with spirits *at all*.

Heroes are wierdoes, and can break rules.

Hope that helps, Jane.

RR
- Richelieu