Re: Contest Mechanic Oddity

From: Michael W. Ryan <mryan_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 17:40:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Alex Ferguson wrote:

> Doubtless this is very old turf by now (if so, apologies for coming
> in midway) but the most obvious 'design decision' at work here is
> whether to have a high is good convention (like Pendragon), or a
> low is good convention (like Hero wars). You get a certain amount
> of strangenesses either way. But until someone designs dice with an
> arbitrary number of faces... (cue Orlanth, rolling a D147).

Oh, I agree completely that going with a "rolling low is good" convention is a good thing. I just think that this effect can wind up being unfair.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan_at_...              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

No, I don't hear voices in my head;
I'm the one that tells the voices in your head what to say.