Re: Tap Spell

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:54:42 -0800

Peter answered

> >Well i cound not find anything to explain its working on HQ, so what
> >do you think how Tap sould be handled ?
>
>It was explained in HeroWars (in too much detail for the main rulebook).
>Basically it's only taught to sorcerers that have mastered the order's
>grimoires to two masteries each.

For my tastes, this makes tapping a bit too rare -- akin to a secret. It should be common enough that people are tempted to use it.

>I would expand the penalty
>from one ability to all abilities of a given class. If you have been
>tapped physically, you are much weaker in all physical activities.

This is a good idea -- my objection above is based on the fact that you want tapping to be a horrible spell that you can actually see in a typical game (involving Tappers). This makes it more horrible.

>There is a paragraph about how you can get the tapped ability back if
>you kill the sorcerer (I'm dubious)

Me too. Fewer story possibilities.

Rob

>I loathe tapping in any form in any game. As a narrator I will
>never have it in my Glorantha. I would never play in a game that it
>could be used against players.
>
>My reason is that at best its a kind of 'Blade Venom' - a game
>construct mechanic. If I had a character that had an ability
>tapped, well then I wouldn't want to play that character.

While it's always been descibed in terms of game mechanics, I think it's a valid part of Glorantha. You have Arolanit, where the very land seems sapped of vitality due to Tapping. and stealing another person's vitality is a pretty common literary theme (it's not just for vampires).

The fact that you don't want to play a Tapped character speaks for employing it. It's icky and awful! A real threat to player characters. Perhaps a threat better threatened than employed, but still valid in a Narrator's toolkit.

--

David Dunham