RE: New Truths, Concentration and New Feats

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:56:25 -0600

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>

> > If your character discovers or makes up a magic that is NOT from
> > your god there is no way that it can dome from that god. It
> > becomes, instead, a magic from your character. That is how a
> > Hero Cult is made.
>
>I'm feeling a bit blank about how a Theist character *could* come up
>with a magic that isn't from their god, but it sounds like a great idea
>if you can pull it off. Heros. That's what we want to be.

Funny, I just suggested this to Ian the other day in regards to his Humakti character. I was saying just as an "ultimate" goal for an Adept is to write his own Grimoire, the goal of a devotee is to become a hero by performing acts that emulate the gods own.

Here's the process that I see: the hero starts to do well for his god, getting pretty potent (three mastery range). He starts to accumulate followers who see his potential as a hero. He starts to become very good at something related to his god, but somehow ancillary to it as well - you can't just be the god, you have to develop a new affinity. Eventually as the character starts to get 4 mastery abilities (where the text notes that all abilities become, in effect, magical), the follower worship starts imbuing the character as though he were something like a daimon guardian. But instead of the normal guardian functions, the followers start to benefit from a new Affinity that develops around the character. In Ash's case, maybe it's Grim Humor. Then as the character starts to perform lots of really, really important acts, those with the affinity can start to devote themselves to the character, and "discover" his feats, just as is being discussed elswhere in this thread.

Note that the character never really gets any new magical abilities, his mundane ones simply become magical by raising them to really high levels. If you want a strong demarcation, I'd call it that fourth mastery where this effect starts. But I'd probably make it a bit more loose than that, with some contests against 6 mastery difficulties (note the parallel with linking a Grimoire to the magic plane).

Take this to a greater extent, in a greater age, and the followers become heroes themselves, making the old hero a god. But that's just speculative on my part.

As is all of this. But this is how I intend to handle becoming a hero and apotheosis, etc, in play.

Mike