RE: Re: Keyword v. best skill?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:25:54 -0600

>From: "Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_...>

>In fact one of the problems one experiences using published NPC's is
>that generally theres not enough to give them the same number of
>augments a PC does, so can skew in favour of the pc.

Two things. First, augments are applied as they are dramatically appropriate, generally. That is, if you can "feel" how the character's relationship with his buddy is telling, then you get an augment for it. As such, often with enemies there's nothing to "feel" in terms of he augments. If it's not written down, simply consider the idea that you should just not augment.

Put another way, if "Faceless Mook Master of Swords" has a 10W2 in swordplay, consider just going with that. The table calls them sample resistances, and this is interesting. I think it is, to some extent where the idea that they include augments in them comes from - after all everything about a wall is considered in terms of coming up with the resistance for leaping it, right? Well, from a dramatic POV, the characters' single ability can, in many cases, be all you need to know to set a dramatically appropriate level to roll against.

Does this skew things in the favor of the heroes? Sure. Got a problem with that? Only characters who have been better developed should get to augment at all. That is, unless the narrator takes the time to display the fact somehow that the character is strong, he should get no augment for it. For many NPC foes, they should only get their primary ability. Maybe one or two augments at most (like bonuses for equipment that everyone can see in use - though I don't even use those for anyone).

This, BTW, makes life very easy. One number can be all you need to know about an NPC.

Second, and this addresses Darren's "problem," come up with this number on the spot. Mike's Heresy #7 points out that there's nothing in the book that says that you are required to stat out an NPC before a fight. So, worried about making sure that the character is of an appropriate level of difficulty for the character to make the contest go like you want? Then simply wait for the players to add up all of their augments, and make up his one number on the spot. This works every time.

And, again, it's easier than pre-stating out characters. Most importantly because you never know what sorts of contests the characters are going to get into. If you stat out the NPCs Swordsmanship, then he'll end up in a debate with one of the heroes - happens all the time. So why stat out numbers you're never going to need? Make them up only when you need to make them up.

This makes prep really fast. Just write out something general like "Four Competent Soldiers from Furthest." When they ask for the resistance, just relate the number nonchalantly like you made it up last week, and they'll be impressed no end with your extensive prep (no, I'm not fooling anyone with this anymore, I don't think).

Of course, after you've gone through the painstaking process of coming up with the number on the fly, write it down. Because, no, it should not change the next time to match drama, instead everyone already knows what it is, and will be appropriately dramatic around it. Which means, of course, that if you want to do so, make up abilities like this for NPCs who are not in contests if you like, just to give perspective.

Is this hard to do? Well, in some ways, "realism" doesn't matter a lick in terms of setting ability levels, because you can almost always retroactively explain the level you took. "He was simply a lot quicker on his feet that he looked!" or "Well, he was a paper tiger, we know how tough he really is now." Given this, you can completely wing difficulties. What it does require, and what's good to know, is the scale. Which is in a chart in the book. Yes, you should be able to explain the scale in relative terms. So when you decide that this guy is a 10W3 for this contest ("with some augments"), you can explain that he was tough enough to kick the ass of almost everyone in your village. In case somebody asks. I keep a copy of the scale from the book handy at all times for these purposes.

Some things to consider on this note - the book not only says that you don't have to stat out NPCs, it says that they never have contests if you read it one way. This is good advice, IMO. Basically NPCs can always be resistances to overcome, or augments for the Hero. Otherwise, if they are the "primary" characters in some conflict, the narrator should just narrate the result. Sans a Hero being involved, there should be no roll involved. This, Mike's Heresy #5 is, once again, based on my own reading of the rules, but I think doesn't conflict with any of the rules.

The point is that one can effectively forget about modeling the world outside of the heroes. Something only becomes modeled if the hero runs into it. Other than that, one can rely on the generic examples to give a feel for how the characters's abilities stand in relation to the rest of the world around him.

Again, not going to satisfy the gamer who's looking for the rules to model the game world in a "hard" way, but it works for gamers like me.

Mike