Re: Improvisation & the Book (was The book says many things)

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:24:50 -0000

> The Premise as described in the scenario section is exactly a good
beginning for conflict
> type issues. But then you have stuff like,
>
> "...you can either try to yank the story back to your plan or
abandon it for a new story
> suggested by the players' impulse. The latter choice is usually
best." pg. 231

> with no back up techniques or examples of the latter choice.

I think it is quite difficult to provide an example of abandoning your story to follow the players whims, in that you have obviously had time to consider the ramifications for the choices at the point where you write the example, and every "sugegstion" you make becomes a "version of the (a) story that the players can choose to deviate from"

To do so in the form of a scenario is even harder - especially if you want to make the scenario accessible to people who are not used to this style of GMing, ...