Re: To All "Lost Opportunity Believers"

From: Charles Corrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:58:48 -0000

> Please, I ask all of you, accept my
> invitation to contribute to the
> greatness and flexability of HeroQuest
> and contribute a series of examples of
> "how to play" in the alternative
> methods which you have described, and
> we will be more than pleased to put
> them on the web site as another series
> of examples of different play!

I am going to fire off a few gentle (I hope) potshots in several directions here. Please take these as constructive suggestions for change rather than attacks on people or their dearly cherished beliefs.

Has anyone bothered to contribute anything to Issaries? Greg has made several similar announcements over the past few years but little has appeared on http://issaries.com - I only recall http://www.glorantha.com/tribes/weird_abilities.php However, I understand that Nils was out of action for a while last year, so it is possible that there is some stuff queued.

Some members of the Gloranthan community seem to believe that it is Issaries duty to completely fill out the mechanics/physics/metaphysics /whatever. To do this well would require at least a couple of full time staff writers. Issaries, as I understand it, has no paid staff at all. Therefore it is not going to happen. And that does not address the question of whether this exercise would be a good thing in itself (can you hear the cries of "Not in my Glorantha - it would _completely_ break my game/story!" ?).

And what is up with the Issaries publishing policy? The last update that I know of is at
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/HeroQuest-RPG/message/24348 A lot of the buzz about Glorantha has been maintained by the independent publishers (TOTRM, TradeTalk, Unspoken-Word). While TOTRM came to a natural end, it does seem to me that Unspoken-Word has been killed off by the lack of a policy - see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Unspoken-Word-News/message/72 . What will happen to TradeTalk? If TradeTalk drops Glorantha or just dies, then what will happen to Tentacles? Even if the policy is not yet finalised (legal process can take a long time and can be very expensive), some statement of hope that, subject to the required legal process, independent publication will be supported or encouraged would reassure me.

regards,
Charles