Re: Nonhuman Sidekicks

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:18:33 -0000

> In other words, if you take a "warrior" keyword sidekick, and
> choose "sword and shield combat" as one of the three abilities, it
> would start at 17, not 13 (it comes from the keyword).

Weeelllll, YGWV, but the mini max in me says, oh great, I'll have my warrior Bob have a healer sidekick, choose first aid and put all 15 points in that for 12W! Or a fast horse with fast 20W and add 15 to that instead, thus 15W3!

To avoid such temptations, and to make sure people make choices for roleplaying reasons and not mathematical advantages, I have included a few little house rules such as the one above. FREX, our chernan devotee had been in play for a goodly number of sessions when I read that he really ought to have one skill at 10W and two at 5W - which he didn't have. So I told him to increase three skills to make him fit the rules better, rather than bump him down to initiate or reason his promotion came because his father made the temple an offer they couldn't refuse.

I then asked the other players to do likewise, but that they had to be cult specific skills, like the scholar. One guy chose to stick it straight on his affinities!! I reained him in and said that he could increase the affinities but by 3, 3 and 4, if he so desired, because affinities cost him 3 a level. I thought this only fair to the other players.

Regards
Rob