Re: Nonhuman Sidekicks

From: Nick Hollingsworth <nick.hollingsworth_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:24:06 -0000

"Ian Young":
> They're there for
> the very purpose of diversifying the profile of the hero,

Yep. By cementing an npc as a follower of some sort the player is stating that he wants a degree of authorial control over it. By cementing it as a sidekick the player is stating that he wants near complete control of it.

Saying that a player then can't then mold the npc to his vision does not make any sense from my point of view.

I agree with you that I see sidekicks and retainers as an extension of the character, albeit ones that involve a higher degree of negotiation with the GM than normally holds for the characters 'own' abilities.