Re: Common magic

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:11:24 -0600

>From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>

>*digesty moment - one could argue that a common magic spell
>requires a runestick or a talisman. I however believe that the
>talisman is derived from Kadeniti magics and that modern sorcery
>is a fusion of the six Malkioni modes of magic (spoken, water,
>runic, talismanic, exploration and theory). Thus talismans are
>not necessary for sorcery

Hmm. Good question. I'm pretty sure that CM Charms are, in fact, an object. But do CM spells need talismans? I somehow recall that they don't.

That said, it doesn't say for absolute certain, but the implication is that Sorcerers do need talismans. That is, they're just apostate adepts by my reading. Adepts need talismans (in order to link to the otherworld essence source), so sorcerers would need them. Or so my logic goes. CM spells might not need them, since the source essence is in the mundane world (same sort of logic could be used to explain charm spirits not needing to be bound into something). OTOH, maybe they do need them. But it seems to me that sorcerers, needing to go to the otherworld for their power, would have the same restrictions as Adepts.

But the section on Sorcery does imply that there are things left unsaid, so perhaps not needing talismans is one of them.

Mike