Re: Re: Re: Common magic

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:30:36 +1100

At 05:57 AM 8/02/05, SRennell wrote:
>Roderick Robertson wrote:
> > When you Devote yourself to a god, you cut yourself off from "any magic not
> > provided by him". As you must have already concentrated your magic on
> > theism, this basically means you can't worship another god at the same
> time.
> > (But see http://www.glorantha.com/support/hq_faq.html#Theism for more)
>
>But the rules seem to explicitly say that Devotee's can learn feats and
>affinities from other sub-cults. Does that count as "other gods" or not?

  He can get more after he's Devoted himself, as far as I can see. And remember, the sub-cults count as part of the god's magic.   So you can Devote to Orlanth Adventurous, then get (as an extreme) a dozen other affinities and feats from sub-cults; they are all Orlanth magic. But you can't get anything from Ernalda, even though she's married to him.
  That, BTW, gives devotees a lot of power, particularly breadth with depth, that unconcentrated initiates get, but in a different way.   An unconcentrated initiate can get magic from a couple of different subcults, a sorcery school, Flesh Man and the local shaman and pick up common magic from all over the place.
  An Orlanthi devotee, OTOH, can take his choice from 7 warband, 8 specialty, 6 occupational and one or two of 6 social status subcults. That's a lot of magic; up to 23 affinities, plus one secret... Oh, and whatever special feats you can learn on top of that, and common magic feats.

--
| Paul May               | paul.robert.may_at_...
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | kax_at_...
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | the_kax_at_...
| PGP key on www.pgp.net | spell_at_...

    I'm an omnitheist. You can't have too many messiahs.