One-use ranged weapons

From: Sam Elliot <sam.elliot1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:51:29 -0000

It often seems that players avoid ranged weapons such as javelins, axes etc (because the limits of reason are stretched when you throw your eighth axe in a fight), or find return-to-hand fixes.

To make these things more attractive, I reckon you could allow thrown weapons to augment close combat, as in throwing a spear as you close, a common tactic in days of yore, so I understand. (NB I am not proposing another discussion of how ranged combat works in an extended contest - I don't think what I'm proposing has been discussed before).

This starts to become very attractive to those who are so inclined if you allow a character to augment their 5W sword and shield combat (+3 sword + X shield) with their +2 thrown spear (17) AND a +3 spear, allowing the extra +5 (and including both weapons). You could also reverse it, the close combat skill as an augment to the thrown weapon.

I don't really have anything more to say on this, or think it needs discussion particularly (I'm sure the rules as they is written have something to say, but I'm not really interested in that myself - it all makes sense to me). I just think that's a neat consequence of the HQ system of augments and that someone else might like the idea.

Sam.