Re: Re: Combat Rules

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:08:24 -0800

> But that fixed amount of 7ap seemed wrong. In a contest that starts with
> 300ap a side, it's irrelevant. If you've only got 6 AP left, it's crucial.
> have no idea how to fix this, but it does look like a problem.

Hmm, maybe make it 10 - the same number as a +1 augment.

Then the player has to call the special effect before rolling the dice - "I'm going to Disarm him, so that's a minimum 30 AP bid - I'll double that, just to make sure I get it on a marginal victory."

If he wins, he does the special effect, if he loses, well, he loses AP. If he wins big, he disarms *and* gets the additional AP swap.

And while a -3 penalty might not seem like much, what about disarming someone who's using the Windsword, or Balastor's Axe? It takes away some major powers.

Of course, this comes down to "play the game, not the rules". The rules should (and can, with some minor fiddling) let the player do anything, but they aren't written to say that you can.

RR
- Richelieu