Re: Dueling

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.h_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 09:17:05 -0000

I think you can safely assume that the ability allows the character to do just what it says - so a petty noble with dueling can take part in a duel. This does imply an ability to wields duelling weapons with some competence.

So of course can a warrior with Sword Combat. Whether the combat ability takes an improv modifier will depend on the precise circumstances, a duel is at least as much social as it is physical and being the better fighter will not always protect you from ending up humiliated in some way (and hence the loser).

> Unfortunately I'm no weapons expert so, apart from the rapier, I have
> no idea what sorts of melee weapons have served as dueling weapons
> down through history. So I'm interested in finding out what range of
> choices my character may have. If it will be of any help he will
> probably be heavily influenced by Dara Happan or Carmanian culture.

Duelling weapons for informal or impromptu duels have typically been the sort of weapon that you (or your manservant) can wear on your person; swords, rapiers, daggers, pistols. In a duel you only need one good hit so thrusting weapons are likely to be more popular, leaving your sword stuck in your opponent is no problem in a duel but suicidal on a battlefield. Legalistic duels (sounds Darra Happan already) would involve preparation and would more likely involve military weapons such as spears/shields and the wearing of armour.

Missile weapon duels are also possible, bows might be popular in Dara Happa whilst the ever-popular dart would perhaps be more used in the Lunar heartlands.

--
Nic