Re: Re: Age Old Question on Feats and Affinity Augments

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:44:05 -0700

> Unless one devotes to, say, Dar, this is generally true, yes. But, that
> only reinforces my original point that the powerful characters in Sartar
> Rising are not 'mainly initiates'. If one discounts Kallyr and Broyan,
> then only two of the six rebellion leaders are Initiates. And, looking
> at all characters in SR important enough to get leader sheets, the
> preponderance of Devotees is greater still (16 out of 25). Using SR as
> your guide, it would seem that, while being a Devotee isn't essential to
> becoming a Heortling hero (e.g. Minaryth, Orstalor, and the
> aforementioned political leaders), it is more common than not.
>
> Most Heortlings, of course, aren't heroes :)

Well, there is "powerful" and "powerful" of course. The Devortees all lead warbands (some of which are large enough to have counters in WBRM/DP). The two initiates that you dismiss are political leaders, leading entire nations (well, as much as Orlanthis can be said to be nations...).

In a one-up fight, some of the rebellion leaders are tough. But the "political leaders" have backing from their clan/tribe/nation that puts a handful of warband followers to shame...

You'll notice that all the leaders in OiD vary from "Clan Champion" to low "Capital-H Hero" level (gotta have room to grow during the course of the saga, don'cha know), which means that Broyan or Kallyr probably have several champions at their call that are at similar levels of ability, just lacking the warbands that the Rebel leaders have.

RR
- Richelieu