Re: Re: powerful augments

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:04:01 +0100 (BST)

> > > Strange to think HW was presented as 'you're
> heroes,
> > > no more Mr
> > > RuneQuest', when it's obviously not the case. A
> > > starting HW Hero as
> > > about the same probability of success that a RQ
> one
> > > (40-60%).
> >
> > Yes, this was what fooled us. If only it had been
> > bit more obviously not the case! We were still
> naive
> > enought to think "mastery" meant "mastery".

Rob:

> Bog off!

Pardon? You had noticed which list you're on?

> Some always bang on about this, but if you choose to

> interperet the scale the game that way then its your
> problem (and the Heroes Book).

What Heroes Book? We're talking about Hero Wars, when it first came out and our games started. The system that was stated as producing, by default, "known locally as experienced problem solvers". The sample PC given is an experienced Humakti mercenary. Top skill will be 5W. Rules for more experienced characters are given, and tell us that the clan warband leader will have a combat skill around 10W.

The whole problem is that later books didn't stick to that scale. So characters generated then, but trying to incorporate later background, suddenly find that the Mastery has been devalued.

>Heroquest (formerely Hero Wars) is a system that
> is designed to facillitate player/character diven
> play. Just because
> a bunch of you choose to misuse it in your
> rigid-must-simulatate-the-
> universal-physics-cosmolology-of-glorantha type
> mindsets, thats your own look out.

What in the world are you talking about?

> I'm not saying that the rulebook is
> not incoherent in
> places, it is, its just those bits were probably not
> written by Robin, is my guess.

I have no idea who wrote what bit, and I really don't care. A scale that says "best warrior in clan about 10W, same as your PC after a few weeks" is very different from one that says "no, actually the best warrior in the clan is a mastery higher than that". And that causes problems.

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html