Re: Improv skills

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 08:52:39 -0700

Richard

>Just a reminder of what the problem with general skills is.
>
>It's *not* that you can't suitably penalise with improvisation penalties
>when used just about any time, it's that the hero can concentrate his HP
>gains on it and make its rating immense.
>
>A good example, I think, would be Knowledgeable (a Lankhor Mhy devotee,
>say). If this devotee can use it as substitute to all Georgraphy, Mythology,
>Customs, etc (Language?) skills then there isn't an improvisation penalty
>high enough to stop it being worthwhile developing Knowledge and nothing
>else.
>
>That's why you have to curtail the development of generic skills as well as
>their use.

If you the Narrator don't like abilities that general, don't allow them.

As a Narrator, I would apply a pretty hefty penalty to using Knowledgeable for anything important -- it is a rather broad ability. But I would allow it in the game. Your group may vary, but we playtested for over a year with equally broad abilities, and there was never any abuse.

>Now I believe (and someone *please* correct me if I'm wrong) that the
>opponent does not have to use in offence the ability he used in defence.

Correct.

Myles

>Particular examples I'd like to see would include the use of
>affinities and feats from the more popular keywords (so we get a
>better idea of which feats are augmentations or whatever)

Most feats can be used either to act or to augment. As always, depends on the situation.

I'm hoping to block out some time to write a little article on feats...

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein