Re: Presetting Stakes and AP Bid Limits

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:57:45 -0500

On December 13, 2006 11:41 am, Mike Holmes wrote:
> But, yes, my players do know that I tend to leave these alternate effect
> consequences for marginal results, so they're prepared that I might do
> something like this. Just not what.

Sorry. That's what I meant. That they knew they might be hit with alternate effect consequences and were cool with that.

> Wait...the player can always bid up to his starting AP. That's the
> Desperation Stakes rule. I'm not familiar with a rule that says you can
> only bid up to your currently used ability...

That's what I meant. Caught off guard, he was using an ability at 6 (plus an augment) to have a starting ability of 8 (and starting AP of 8). A lucky roll kept him from losing right off. He then switched to something better, but his desperation stake was still limited to 8. (starting AP).

I let him use his current ability as the limit for his desperation stake.

Like I said, it really only came up once, but annoyed me enough that I thought stakes should be set purely by the drama. Mind you, that opens the doors to someone desperation stake bidding hundreds of APs, but no one's actually done that yet.

LC