Re: Problems with a player's 100 words

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:13:36 -0500

Jane

On December 16, 2006 04:43 pm, Jane Williams wrote:
> How damaging it is depends on how pushable the other
> players are. I'm not very, I shouldn't imagine Mike
> will be when (not if) the pushing starts.

I just find it appallingly rude and annoying. Pushing other PCs around, fine. Players? Ticks me off right quick.

> This was a Humakti who just wanted to kill things and
> didn't care about the long-term consequences. Amusing
> in a way, but too cardboard to be much fun and too
> damaging to the group as a whole. So the new PC (with
> a bit of help), killed him.

Yeah, it is when you have decided to play as a party and the concept is  simply incompatible. (In my case, it was more he had an overriding goal that  he would happily sell them out for, and it became too much that the party  was just following me around. So my character split.)

> > (He showed up about a year later as an NPC working
> > at cross-purposes to the
> > PCs, which was a lovely touch by the GM.)
>
> Nice!

I had recommended it off-handedly when we first split him off. He ended up searching for a magic item that the PCs were also after. Out of respect for their former association, he gave them a chance to run. :)

> > So he chose to write a narrative where he has no
> > relationships?
>
> The relationships come out of the backstory - and the
> 100-word narrative is not back-story, I'm told.

Indeed. And I, too, have found the 100-word thing limiting for relationships sometimes.

> His
> strongest relationship at present is probably with
> those symbiotic ancestral spirits.

<good stuff snipped>

sounds lovely.

> Next strongest relationship is probably to his
> regiment: what's left of it. (That's the rest of the
> PCs, more or less). That comes out of the keyword.

And see, there's something about the 100-word method. There's nothing saying you can't get multiple abilities off of the same phrase.

> > This 100-word narrative? Or 100-word narratives in
> > general?
>
> For me, 100-word narratives in general. The more I
> think about it, the more confused I get. I'm left with
> the conclusion that it's a means of obtaining extra
> abilities beyond those in the keywords so as to write
> them on your character sheet with a number that says
> "I'm crap at this, but at least I've heard of it". It
> is very unlikely to describe the PC in anyway that
> anyone would recognise, because if it doesn't give you
> a useful ability, you don't write it down there.

*nod* I have had the majority of my players use the list method, because it makes more intuitive sense to them.

LC