Re: Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:24:00 +0000 (GMT)

> From: Jane Williams janewilliams20_at_...
>
> If you meet a new strange beast, and the scenario
> tells you it's got Large 12, is that the size of a
> sheep, a horse, an elephant? We visualise things in
> feet, pounds, and mph, not in abstract ratings.

I feel the same way, especially about the sizes of things. I play with a bunch of youngsters and they find it easier to visualise the monsters if they know how big they are. Mostly even saying that the thing is 20 ft tall doesn't help them. Telling them that it has to bend down to look into the upsairs windows does help a great deal.

Because of this I was sad enough to go through AR and find all the entries that specifically mention height with their large/small rating. Using this data I now have a reasonable chart for plotting heights against size.

Size Height (feet) Each point (feet)

6              5.5                  0.3 (4 inches)
1W           10                    1
1W2         30                   3.5
1W3        100                   5
1W4        200                  15
1W5        500                  75

It helps me visulise the scale of monsters.

Gavain