Re: Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:17:29 +0000 (GMT)

> On 09/03/07, Jane Williams
> <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> > Sure, but how fast is that? The fort is ten miles
> > away: how long will it take you to get there? Is
> > reaching it before dark (having just had lunch) an
> > easy stroll, or likely to have you collapsing as
> you
> > deliver your message?
>
> Make a test!

But all you've done is turn the problem round. A test against what? What difficulty factor do we assign to travelling 10 miles in 4 hours? How does it compare with that "run fast 17"?

> So long as the narrator is consistent, what does it
> matter?

They need to *be* consistent, that's the entire point. So if ten miles in 4 hours is difficulty 14 today, it needs to be 14 tomorrow, as well. Doing it in 2 hours should be harder. So you have a conversion table.

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk