Re: Re: Conversion tables and scales (tricky situations)

From: Toksickburn_at_...
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:43:27 EDT

Trotsky, you are still looking at it from outside the game universe.

Yes, maybe there is godzilla and his strength is ten times greater than the strength of, say, spiderman.
Its true, HQ is able to express this difference with its rating and thus a scale. But we dont do that, because we dont need it. We dont need to simulate a fight between spiderman strength 12 and godzilla strength 12m10, because godzilla will win this fight anyway ! There is no drama in rolling this contest !

What we care about is story and not "what-ifs" expressed in ratings. The drama of this situation comes from spiderman being unable to even scratch godzilla and we dont need to roll to narrate this !

I think the problem comes from the HQ book, that does IMO a very bad job of explaining the rules. Even mixing up several contradictionary things.

HQ is capable of providing a scale, thats true, but i think thats misleading. Stop looking at the scale. Look at the story you want to narrate with your players. And everything comes from there. Every opposing rating is defined by the story, not from simulating a universe.