Re: Re: Assembling a Tricky Situations List

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:49:23 +0000 (GMT)

This is something where I have direct personal experience (unlike walking/riding distances without roads, as Gloranthans do), so can answer the questions. Not that I will, here, but yes, I could come up with estimates for the base and all the modifiers, including my own "drive too fast" ability and a heavy modifier for "know the roads backwards".

> (If your walking speed is abstracted to
> 4MPH, and you have to travel 10 miles then you take
> 2.5 hrs - No
> contest required. Doing it in 2 Hours requires
> walking at 5MPH. So
> you set a resistance for that - say 14, for the sake
> of argument.

But that's just it: why 14? That's base resistance. Say you needed to do it in 1 hour, we can work out that needs 10 mph. But I haven't the faintest idea how to assign a resistance to it. It sounds pretty fast to me. A Gloranthan might say something about "faster than a galloping horse", but without Googling (and sifting through hours of argument), I have no idea how fast a horse gallops, nor whether it can keep it up for an hour. I can look up a horse in Anaxials, that'll give me a number, but I can't then compare that with 10 miles in 1 hour. I could look up records for people doing 10 mile races, but I don't know what value their "racer" was, nor how modern fitness compares with normality for a far tougher and more primitive culture. Did they have "run fast 10W"? Or "run fast 10W" minus about 15 for "modern wimp"? How do we guess the -15?

And instead of going through all this, can't I just have a little table that says "any running ability under normal conditions, for distances between 1 and 10 miles, 17 means 6mph, 10W means 10mph, further than that start on the endurance modifiers"? Or something?

New Yahoo! Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Yahoo! Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk