Re: Re: Conversion tables and scales (tricky situations)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:18:02 +0000 (GMT)

> > The different names of the abilities provide
> colour and may also be
> > used in less direct ways. For example, the Master
> of Safelstran
> > Duelling ability could also be used to identify
> that the move that
> > ragged beggar just made was in fact Capistrelli's
> Ingenious Riposte,
> > suggesting he was trained in Salticavalli's
> fencing school.

Might I also point out that I personally would allow that to be used as a Relationship with other Masters of Safelstran Duelling? But that if the fight in question was in fact a tavern brawl using the wrong sort of sword, I would apply negative modifiers. In fact, if the fight was anything *but* a formal one-on-one duel, I'd be applying negative modifiers.

The Amateur Swordsman, however, I'd allow to use the "amateur" side to resist other people trying to judge his ability: it would tend to show up as less than it actually was. "Oh, he's only an amateur - aarggh!"

You can use that description for a lot, just not to specify quantity. Which is why I try to avoid descriptions of abilities that appear to do this.