Re: Re: QW - apparently arbitrary rules

From: Robin Laws Mail List Only <tjaderoo_at_...>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 16:17:42 -0400

Rob -

>>>I have written elsewhere that I would love to see a version of
Heroquest by Robin that was trimmed of all the stuff that others have added that frankly spoil it to a greater or lesser extent.

However I doubt Robin's remit is to can a lot of the stuff others have contributed, no matter how it goes against the grain of his original vision.<<<

The approach I intend to take is to present HQ as a toolkit full of options, rather than a single structure you must adhere to in order to feel you're doing it right.

This allows a certain amount of having the cake and eating it too, where complexity, purity of approach, (or whatever you want to call it) is concerned.

I can present the more traditional rulesy bits, yet at the same time show Narrators how far back they can strip the rules engine and still have a viable game.

>>>That goes

for the stuff that Greg is responsible for like edges and handicaps and most things that relate to 'game balance' or other such mechanics that make HQ a poor clone of heavily drifted sim/gamism rules games like Runequest.<<<

Followers were part of the original version, so whatever complexity of confusion arises from that part of the rules can be laid squarely at my feet.

Take care >>> Robin

P.S. Apologies if this mail is mangled.
The formatting annoyances between Yahoo groups and Gmail are driving me _at_#$ing crazy!