Re: QW - How many augments (to Mr Laws)

From: Mandacaru <samclau_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:38:16 -0000

"Mike Holmes" he say:
> Well I, for one, am very satisfied with the RAW here.

Me too. But, for PbEM. But when using the strict number of augments, this happens:

> given augments that are limited to a certain number, that the sort
of perfunctory addition would happen.

This has been my impression. This is why I'd be interested in the experiences of people who *do* use it - does it become perfunctory? If not what's your secret?

> I think of augmenting as an art form.

Absolutely. Married with my starting to want to fail on rolls at times (I've yet to bump down but I would have asked at least once if it would have changed things noticeably), I find I limit myself with augments. If it isn't so very interesting to go into detail I tend not to use many. If I feel it is a big crunch moment for the character I tend to use loads, at least to have all sorts of things in play. As Bryan points out, this is PbEM and is fun in that medium. We use the "has to be relevant" and "has to be narrated, at least more or less"

> So I think that the mechanism exists already to make players do a
good job.
> If one has to put in another mechanism here, I think it would be
good to
> make it such that it promoted good thinking, and not just filling
out a set
> figure of augments.

I agree. I personally don't have a problem with augments except when they are limited. Then I feel obliged to fill that +4 gap and the how of that is devalued, IMO.

The problem I *do* have is when I get interesting actions from >1 players, aimed at achieving the same goal - stacking a barrel-load of augments from >1 player isn't ideal, but neither is translating it all into a single augment.

Sam.